• In order to operate ANY type of motorized vehicle off-road on public land, you must have one of the following:
    • A green or red sticker issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
    • A non-resident OHV permit.
    • A street legal license plate for four-wheel drive vehicles and dual-sport motorcycles.
  • You may not drive an OHV in a manner that endangers the safety of other persons or their property. No OHV shall exceed 15 mph within 50 feet of any campground, concentration of people or animals.
  • All motorcycles must be equipped with a U.S. Forest Service approved and working spark arrester and muffler. The OHV must also comply with the state's noise regulation. CVC 38370.
  • OHVs operated between sunset and sunrise must have at least one headlight that allows the operator to see for 200 feet and one red taillight visible for 200 feet.
  • Paved roads may be crossed at right angles to the direction of the highway.
  • It is illegal to possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage while riding or operating an off-highway vehicle.
    • For further information on a complete listing of OHV LAWS, see Division 16.5 of California Vehicle Code or visit the OHV web site: